open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: ...the enigmatic presence of the human mind winks back from the dark. -- Whitley Strieber (Communion)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Updating Booklists for Authors
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

Parnassus Reads
Posted 2014-02-12 1:14 PM (#6451)
Subject: Updating Booklists for Authors

New User

I really enjoy this site and like what it does for readers. I participated in last year's Women in Genre Fiction Challenge (kind of failed though), and I just signed up for this year's. However, I've noticed that many of the authors listed for the challenge have incomplete book lists (this was a problem last year too). Jacqueline Carey and Caitlin Kiernan, to name just two, have several more books published than what is listed on their page. I've noticed this for other authors' pages as well. Also, there are authors who are just not on the list at all, like Jaye Wells, a well known paranormal fiction writer who has one new book out (paranormal cop fiction) and another coming soon.

How is the author updating done for this site? Can users upload missing books? I've started the thread here in the hopes that other users will post about authors they find who are missing updated publications to make it easier for whoever updates this stuff. I would be happy to help in any way I can. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-12 1:46 PM (#6452 - in reply to #6451)
Subject: Re: Updating Booklists for Authors

Admin

Hi Parnassus, glad to hear you like the site and the challenges.

We have a lot of holes to fill with regards to authors and books. Unfortunately at this time all the books are added manually by yours truly. I did have another guy helping but he's not around anymore so a slow sporadic process has gotten slower and more sporadic.

Hope is on the horizon however. We're working on updates to the site that will allow members to input new books directly. We're actually pretty far along in the process but we can't seem to get the last bits done with all the other stuff on the site that needs work like the RYO and reviews etc. Not to mention real life getting in the way all the time.

We do appreciate the help offer from you and many other members and we hope it won't be too long before we can take ya'll up on those offers. I wish I could set a date for when it will be ready but all our work on the site is done when we have spare time which is in short supply right now.

Thanks for asking and thanks to everyone for your continued patience as we work these things out.
Dlw28
Posted 2014-02-15 7:59 PM (#6474 - in reply to #6452)

Extreme Veteran

Seems like a good solution! With guidelines I assume?
daelectric
Posted 2014-03-20 6:22 AM (#6731 - in reply to #6451)

What are you writing it in do you have a github?
Strixbrevis
Posted 2015-01-11 1:39 AM (#9249 - in reply to #6451)

New User

Another vote for the ability to add books to the database, or getting you some more help, or something! I'm building my "Clear Your Shelves" RYO challenge and I have three books I can't add because they (and the authors) don't exist in your database.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-01-11 11:09 AM (#9251 - in reply to #9249)

Uber User

Strixbrevis - 2015-01-11 2:39 AM

Another vote for the ability to add books to the database, or getting you some more help, or something! I'm building my "Clear Your Shelves" RYO challenge and I have three books I can't add because they (and the authors) don't exist in your database.

If you put the book details in this thread:
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5...

one of the Uber users will add them.
Strixbrevis
Posted 2015-01-11 4:01 PM (#9252 - in reply to #9251)

New User

justifiedsinner - 2015-01-11 11:09 AM

Strixbrevis - 2015-01-11 2:39 AM

If you put the book details in this thread:
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5...

one of the Uber users will add them.

Oh awesome, thank you for the link!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)