open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win." - Robert A. Heinlein
- (Added by: Administrator)

Add the Whole Series
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

francesashton
Posted 2014-02-05 2:15 PM (#6362)
Subject: Add the Whole Series

Regular

OK, probably not a popular suggestion because it's a lot of work, but if someone asks for a new book to be added to the database and it's part of a series, can you add ALL the books in the series?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-05 2:33 PM (#6364 - in reply to #6362)
Subject: RE: Add the Whole Series

Admin

francesashton - 2014-02-05 2:15 PM OK, probably not a popular suggestion because it's a lot of work, but if someone asks for a new book to be added to the database and it's part of a series, can you add ALL the books in the series?

That's what we try to do.  It is a lot more work but it's much easier to get all the info at the same time and we aren't creating holes every time that we'll have to fill in later.  We already have enough holes as it is.  That's one of the reasons we don't get more of the book requests in faster.  Our request list of 150 books balloons into an actual list of 380 or more once we find the series books.

Of course there are times when we don't know about the series books or we have to get a bunch of new books added for the awards quickly.  We end up skipping the series books in the interest of time but generally we stick to series.

francesashton
Posted 2014-02-06 1:01 PM (#6373 - in reply to #6364)
Subject: Re: Add the Whole Series

Regular

Righto, so what triggered my question was only one Patricia Briggs in the Mercy Thompson series and Pratchett's The Long War but not The Long Earth. If I find more missing presumably I should just add to the book requests forum? How are you doing with the project on letting us add items for you?
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-06 5:01 PM (#6374 - in reply to #6373)

Admin

francesashton - 2014-02-06 1:01 PM Righto, so what triggered my question was only one Patricia Briggs in the Mercy Thompson series and Pratchett's The Long War but not The Long Earth. If I find more missing presumably I should just add to the book requests forum? How are you doing with the project on letting us add items for you?

Yeah, we have a lot of holes to fill.  Most were created from the very start of WWEnd when we were getting all the awards added.  If there are some you need for a challenge please let us know.  We have more than enough to do with just those as it is.

The member submissions has been pushed back because of dwindling free time and the urgent need for RYO related updates, reviews, book requests etc.  It's number 3 on our current list but we're all working a lot of overtime at our jobs so we've slowed down to a crawl. There is light ahead though!

DrNefario
Posted 2014-02-07 4:19 AM (#6378 - in reply to #6374)

Uber User

I keep thinking about reading The Winds of Gath by EC Tubb, and then deciding I can't do that to you.

(There are 33 books in the Dumarest saga.)
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-07 6:01 PM (#6384 - in reply to #6378)

Admin

DrNefario - 2014-02-07 4:19 AM I keep thinking about reading The Winds of Gath by EC Tubb, and then deciding I can't do that to you. (There are 33 books in the Dumarest saga.)

Thank you, Dr. Nefario, for taking pity on me

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-07 6:20 PM (#6387 - in reply to #6362)

Uber User

Yeah, I only got up to number 8 with Dumarest.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)