open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Haven't you ever been in a fairy tale before? - Peter Beagle (The Last Unicorn)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Our reads in Feb 2024
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2024-01-31 12:26 PM (#29316)
Subject: Our reads in Feb 2024

Elite Veteran

Another month,another tottering TBR pile. Share your reading plans with us
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2024-01-31 12:30 PM (#29317 - in reply to #29316)
Subject: Re: Our reads in Feb 2024

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for February
SF/F reads
Poul Anderson - Three Hearts and Three Lions
C J Cherryh - Brothers of Earth
Clifford D Simak - They Walked Like Men
Gordon Dickson - Soldier,Ask Not
Jack Vance - Book of Dreams

and probably a lot of Kindle Unlimited fluff,to soothe my distracted mind

from other genres
Gerald Durrell - The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium
Mary Norton - The Borrowers
daxxh
Posted 2024-01-31 4:26 PM (#29318 - in reply to #29317)

Extreme Veteran

Happy Birthday, Dusty!!

January was not a good reading month. I am hoping February will be better.

Lords of Uncreation - Adrian Tchaikovsky (almost done)
Dying Inside - Robert Silverberg (almost done)
Crimson Shore - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
Exodus - Leon Uris (non-genre)

Whatever gets unpacked - all of my books are in boxes so I will be reading whatever I randomly unpack. Hopefully books that are on my challenge lists!

Maybe Menewood by Nicola Griffith if I get it from the library. I am on the hold list near the top. I have been waiting for that one.

bazhsw
Posted 2024-02-01 12:42 PM (#29322 - in reply to #29318)

Regular

I'm wrapping up 'Dark Matter' this month which is an anthology of speculative fiction by black authors. It described as a 'century of black science fiction' but most of it dates from 1995-2000. There are some gems in there from the late 19th century up to the 20's and 30's which are really interesting from a historical perspective, mirroring the concerns of the time. The quality in the anthology is remarkably consistent too.

Not sure what's after that this month as I have some non-genre things to read.
daxxh
Posted 2024-02-25 6:14 PM (#29397 - in reply to #29322)

Extreme Veteran

Haven't had time to read as much as I used to. I finished Lords of Uncreation by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Excellent book and excellent trilogy. Also read Star Trek Living Memory and three Pendergast novels - Crimson Shore, The Obsidian Chamber and City of Endless Night. I got sidetracked with a non-genre novel, Demon Copperhead, which I have yet to finish. I probably won't read any other scifi this month.
lisagarrity
Posted 2024-02-25 7:01 PM (#29398 - in reply to #29316)

Veteran

I've been trying to finish up my reading before nominating for the Hugos. There is a lot of short fiction that I'd like to catch up on before turning in the ballot. In terms of novels, Ann Leckie's Translation State is the best I've read so far. I'm also adding Annalee Newitz's The Terraformers and Nick Harkaway's Titanium Noir. They both had some problems but I liked their world building and characters. I will probably add The Adventures of Almina Al-Sirafi by S A Chakraborty because it was a lot fun. Hopefully, some of my choices will make it to the final ballot. None of mine did last year and I want to blame the Hugo Administrators but looking at what data has come of last year's disaster, there weren't enough nominations for my choices even before McCarty fudged the nominations.
dustydigger
Posted 2024-02-29 2:33 PM (#29408 - in reply to #29316)

Elite Veteran

Not a lot of reading achieved,but a few interesting reads - plus a lot of fluffy stuff not in WWEnd lists.

Jack Vance - Book of Dreams. final part of the Demon Princes series,about a man whose planet was devastated and his family destroyed when he was a child. For decades he patiently finds the 5 people responsible. Bit of a downbeat end as succeeding in his quest leaves him without plans or purpose.

Lucius Shepard - The Man Who Painted the Dragon Griaulle : a Hugo,Nebula and World Fantasy Award nominated novella in 1985
The mountain-sized sleeping Dragon Griaulle overshadows a nearby town with its overpowering presence. Desperate to overthrow its malignant influence without alerting the dragon to their intent, the town hires a painter who promises to cover the dragon's beautiful scales in a poisonous paint which will kill it once and for all.

Mary Norton - The Borrowers. Delightful reread for the nth time of this childrens classic about tiny people who live under the kitchen in an old manor.

Clifford D Simak - They Walked Like Men.Alien invasion. Not his best,but even minor Simak is always a nice read.His pastoral settings,and his warmth and empathy for his characters always shines through.

Lester Del Ray - Rockets to Nowhere .A Winston juvenile,a rather bland tale of a young man who realizes that scientists are disappearing from a project to ostensibly build a space station. Its full of the fear of radiation and unease and paranoia about spies and enemies,obviously thinly disguised Soviets.Has an interesting hopeful ending. Del Rey is a prosaic writer but treats his young readers with respect.That makes 29/37 of the WWEnd Winston classics completed,hope to complete them all this year.

Poul Anderson - Three Hearts and Three Lions a fantasy set in a slightly different alternate world with an engineer transported into a mediaeval sort of world,but with magic.Hugely influential,a major inspiration to Michael Moorcock,and Dungeons and Dragons.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)