open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Truly life is wasted on the living..." - Neil Gaiman (The Graveyard Book)
- (Added by: Emil)

Our reads in October 2023
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2023-09-30 2:12 PM (#27574)
Subject: Our reads in October 2023

Elite Veteran

The pile never gets smaller,does it. lol.
Spooky October is here again,I am only read a few spooky items,but am looking forward to the reread of The King in Yellow..
Taking time off from my yearly Night in the Lonesome October read,maybe will substitute some rereads of Edgar Allan Poe instead. Berenice,and Ligeia are calling my name I think. You know,the more I read Poe the weirder and disturbing I find him! .
Dusty's TBR for October:

Stephen Leather - Nightfall
Robert W Chambers - King in Yellow(R)
Liz Williams - Snake Agent
Amanda Stevens - The Restorer(R)
Karl Edward Wagner - Sticks(short story)
Richard Matheson - Born of Man and Woman(R)
Peter J Woods - The Serpent's Fury
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2023-09-30 7:02 PM (#27575 - in reply to #27574)
Subject: Re: Our reads in October 2023

Extreme Veteran

October Reading

Lone Women - Victor LaValle (for the Halloween Challenge)
Holly - Stephen King (another for Spooky October)
Starter Villain - John Scalzi
A Time of Changes - Robert Silverberg

I need to read some Pulp this month. I have a bunch of Ace Doubles.

Library holds came all at once so in addition to some of the previously mentioned books, I have five nonfiction books to read.
lisagarrity
Posted 2023-10-01 1:44 PM (#27580 - in reply to #27574)

Veteran

Daxxh, should I read Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers before Holly? I understand that she was a character in both books.

I'm planning to read How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix for the mini Challenge but have a LOT of other spooky books to read.
Traveling with the Dead by Barbara Hambly (Book 2 of the James Asher series)
Under the Skin by Michel Faber
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant
The Time of Ghosts by Gillian Polack

I also want to work in more of the short story collections and anthologies that I have gotten. So many good stories waiting.
daxxh
Posted 2023-10-01 8:40 PM (#27581 - in reply to #27580)

Extreme Veteran

@lisagarrity - Yes, you probably should read Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch (Bill Hodges trilogy) as well as The Outsider and the novella If It Bleeds before you read Holly. There are a lot of references to those books in Holly. I am almost finished with it and it is giving me the creeps.
dustydigger
Posted 2023-10-16 5:30 AM (#27599 - in reply to #27581)

Elite Veteran

I got a Wildside Press megapack, titled The Big Book of the Masters of Horror,Weird and Supernatural Short Stories. Not a catchy title,but its a very good collection! 120 authors,1000 stories. And it cost a ridiculously small price - ?0.75. Very good selection of too.,many famous ones,plus a lot of lesser known authors.
I think I will read a few of William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki stories this month.But this will be a treasury of vintage horror for me to dip into as and when I feel brave enough! lol.
I enjoy the vintage weird fiction and supernatural stuff,but am a wimp when it comes to modern stuff,full of gore and gruesomeness. As I said,I am a wimp!
Weesam
Posted 2023-10-26 5:31 PM (#27609 - in reply to #27599)

Uber User

I have been re-reading the Detective Chen series by Liz Williams this month, which are still enjoyable I am glad to say.

Mostly though I have been reading the graphic novels in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series, since I managed to get hold of the first nine of them. Lots and lots of Rivers of London! Fun times.
dustydigger
Posted 2023-10-31 6:41 PM (#27611 - in reply to #27574)

Elite Veteran

I FINALLY had my eye op 2 weeks ago. Now I can see the subtitles on the TV again! lol. Its taken a while for the eyes to adjust to each otheronce more at the new sight levels,and I still feel a bit eyestrain as they accommodate each other,but its a big improvement.
I read all the books on my TBR above this month,a change from the poor performance this year,I have alternated the list with some creepy Spooktober stuff,and a lot of trashy but entertaining urban fantasy,especially fun stuff on Kindle Unlimited writer K M Shea in particular. Wont bother listing them. I find this font quite small and not the easiest to read at the moment. Hopefully my eyes will sort themselves out soon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)