open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: ...the enigmatic presence of the human mind winks back from the dark. -- Whitley Strieber (Communion)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Our reads in September
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2023-08-31 3:15 PM (#27133)
Subject: Our reads in September

Elite Veteran

Another month,another pile of books. Share your reading plans here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2023-08-31 3:26 PM (#27134 - in reply to #27133)
Subject: Re: Our reads in September

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for September

Jack McDevitt - Engines of God
Kenneth Robeson - Brand of the Werewolf
Philip Wylie - After Worlds Collide
Edgar Rice Burroughs - Lost on Venus
Clark Ashton Smith - Death of Malygris
H G Wells - The Croquet Player
Kat Richardson - Downpour
Rex Stout - Fer-de-Lance
Mark Billingham - Death Message
Euripides - Bacchae

A bit optimistic this TBR. My eyes are worsening daily,still no sign of an op date. Have spent 2 weeks preparing for a visitor from the USA,he arrives in 2 days,so possibly I can get back to reading soon.,but my reading rate is poor,and I can no longer manage paper books. I seem to progress through a book quite well on the kindle,but within months I seem to forget almost everything. lol.I kind of feel hemmed in with the little kindle page Probably just old age,75 and counting now.........sigh........
lisagarrity
Posted 2023-08-31 6:46 PM (#27137 - in reply to #27133)

Veteran

I've joined the Space Opera September readathon on Youtube and I've committed to reading The Final Reflection by John M Ford (Star Trek novel), The Plague Ship by Andre Norton, A Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle and Alliance Rising by CJ Cherryh and Jane S Fancher. I hope to read more though.

Dusty, I hope you can get the operation that you need soon. 75 is not old yet. It's just upper middle age.
daxxh
Posted 2023-08-31 10:37 PM (#27138 - in reply to #27137)

Extreme Veteran

The Mountain in the Sea - Ray Nayler
Mercury Rising - RWW Greene
A Time of Changes - Robert Silverberg
Knife of Dreams - Robert Jordan
Bringing Columbia Home - Michael Leinbach, Jonathan Ward

I read nothing on my proposed list last month, although I did start The Mountain in the Sea and Bringing Columbia Home. Anything else I read this month will be something for a challenge as the end of the year is getting closer.
dustydigger
Posted 2023-08-31 11:24 PM (#27139 - in reply to #27138)

Elite Veteran

Hi Lisa! Nice list. I keep meaning to reread Mote in God's Eye,its at least a decade since I read it,it was fun. Except one section on the spaceship with hordes of these little black creatures infesting it! EEK!
I certainly so need my op. But the NHS is in chaos and sinking fast. Can but hope.Fingers crossed.

Daxxh,these days my TBRs are often just a pipedream,I rarely achieve reading half of them.lol.
I see a Time of Changes on your list. Silverberg seems to be rising in reputation these days after quite a while in the doldrums. I keep meaning to get to The Book of Skulls and Sailing to Byzantium which turn up on WWEnd lists frequently. And year after year I intend to read Lord Valentine's Castle,and am daunted by the size of the book,and the small print. Maybe once my eyes get done I will get round to it.
I was a bit disappointed in A Time of Changes,mostly because otf the themes.,I'm not into hippie stuff. I really liked Downwards to the Earth and Nightwings though. I see he turns up quite frequently in the Ace Doubles. I want to read a lot more nice trashy pulp next year,and I think the Ace doubles will be turning up frequently.lol.
daxxh
Posted 2023-09-23 3:41 PM (#27178 - in reply to #27139)

Extreme Veteran

I actually read some books on my list for this month!

The Mountain in the Sea - Ray Nayler. This was very good. Octopi are already pretty cool. These guys were on a whole new level. Wish they had more page time.

Knife of Dreams - Robert Jordan. I am determined to finish this series. I like it, but the whole thing could have been edited a little better and had fewer descriptions of clothing. This one didn't have as much puerile bickering in it and I am hoping Brandon Sanderson gets rid of all of that in the final books.

Started Mercury Rising - RWW Greene. It is ok so far.

Started Bringing Columbia Home which is nonfiction. I will finish this but I have to check it out from the library again.

I had eight library holds come in this month and I am reading those. I try to space them out, but when they are labeled on order, you never know when they are coming.

The Wheel of Darkness - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I really like the Pendergast novels and although this wasn't the best one, it was good.

Star Trek Discovery Drastic Measures - Dayton Ward. Third Discovery novel I have read and I have liked them all.

Weesam
Posted 2023-09-26 6:49 PM (#27184 - in reply to #27178)

Uber User

Started a re-read of the Detective Chen series by Liz Williams. Haven't read them in years, so it's like reading them anew.

Also managed to read the new Scalzi, Starter Villain. Didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Humour was a little too juvenile for me, but a lot of people seem to like it.

I also-read Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann for the new Detective challenge. I love that book. Sheep detectives trying to figure out who killed their beloved shepherd, what's not to love? I suspect I will re-read this book every 5 years or so for the rest of my life.

And I managed to finish the Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Glad to have finally wrapped that 10-book series up and ticked it off my list.

lisagarrity
Posted 2023-10-01 1:16 PM (#27579 - in reply to #27133)

Veteran

Weesam, I loved Three Bags Full too. There's supposed to be a published sequel but it's never been translated from the German. Being monolingual is so frustrating sometimes.

For the Space Opera September event on Youtube I read

The Gathering Edge by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller #20 in the Liaden series--Okay addition to the series
Plague Ship by Andre Norton--Fun Norton juvenile fiction
The Final Reflection by John M Ford--One of the best Star Trek novels I have read
Contraband From Otherspace by A Bertram Chandler--Classic pulp fiction
Tuf Voyaging by George RR Martin--An interesting protagonist, one of the most coldly calculating "honest" traders in fiction. Nothing like Game of Thrones but still...
The Mote in God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven--I was rooting for the aliens.
I started Alliance Rising and then lost it a third of the way through. I've left it l on my grandmaster list for this year. It's got to be around here somewhere.

In the genre, I read Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes by his friend and business manager Rob Wilkins. I wish he had gone more in depth in a number of areas but as overview to Terry Pratchett's life, it's not bad. I read Starter Villain by John Scalzi-it's cute but I had higher expectations. Also read Depart, Depart by Sim Kern. It was good story but some of the us against them politics were pushed a bit hard. Also 3 self published books which don't meet WWE guidelines.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)