open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Where men can't live gods fare no better." - Cormac McCarthy (The Road)
- (Added by: Emil)

All Male Authors
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

francesashton
Posted 2014-05-18 1:38 PM (#7724)
Subject: All Male Authors

Regular

You know the "all women authors" page with the alphabetical order and the pictures all sorted by real name? Can we have one of those for the male authors as well? I'd find it really handy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-05-18 7:15 PM (#7726 - in reply to #7724)
Subject: Re: All Male Authors

Uber User

Wouldn't that be playing into the hands of the power elite?
Administrator
Posted 2014-05-18 9:21 PM (#7729 - in reply to #7724)
Subject: RE: All Male Authors

Admin

francesashton - 2014-05-18 1:38 PM You know the "all women authors" page with the alphabetical order and the pictures all sorted by real name? Can we have one of those for the male authors as well? I'd find it really handy.

I don't think we'll be making an all male authors list but we do have plans to improve our All Authors page.  Right now we have so many authors that the page is becoming a bit unweildy.  The plan is to go to the big author pics like we have on the All Women list and alpha paginate it like we do with the Series List.  Of course we're missing a ton of author pics but the updated author list will show us which ones we're missing so we can make a big push to fill the gaps.

We built the All Women list expressly for the Women of Genre Fiction reading challenge where the goal was to help folks find women authors to read and also to help them see in a really obvious way how many women authors they've read or not read as the case may be.  We're keeping the list because it can still be a useful tool to challenge our members to read more women. 

There are a few updates we need to make to the current All Women page to make it more useful.  The sorting needs a bit of tweaking still and we want to split it into 2 lists.  At the top will be an alpha sorted list of "Women Authors I've Read" and underneath it will be and alpha list of "All Other Women Authors".  The idea is the division will bring it home in a visual way how many women there are that you haven't read yet.  And for those trying to read more women they can easily track their progress by how many rows they have in the top list.  And they can set a visual goal to "fill in another row by the end of the year" or "get to 48 women read by December" etc.

I can see the utility in having an all male authors list but with the women's list we're sending a message about reading more women.  We want to keep the message clear and an all men list would muddy things up a bit I think.  I hope that makes sense.

francesashton
Posted 2014-05-19 12:07 PM (#7739 - in reply to #7724)

Regular

Ok, I get the idea of the all women page and wanting to get out a certain message, I'm just after being able to find author's easily regardless of anything else. It sounds like you're planning that anyway with the change to the "all authors page", so thanks for the reply.

While I can see the point of trying to increase the profile of women authors in a male-dominated field, I do think that if you make changes in one area you should allow it to be used in other areas e.g. have a "male author's I've read" ability or "African author's I've read" etc (the list can go on). Champion the rights of women authors to be read more by all means, but please don't try to make it a all-consuming mission at the expense of other minorities in the field.
Administrator
Posted 2014-05-19 8:22 PM (#7744 - in reply to #7739)

Admin

francesashton - 2014-05-19 12:07 PM Champion the rights of women authors to be read more by all means, but please don't try to make it a all-consuming mission at the expense of other minorities in the field.

I don't think you need worry about us trying to make it an all-consuming mission.  Our promotion of women authors is just a small part of what we do here and it is rather benign after all. We don't demand anyone read more women authors we just say give the ladies a shot too.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)