Golden Gryphon Press, 2004
This book does not appear to be part of a series. If this is incorrect, and you know the name of the series to which it belongs, please let us know.
|Avg Member Rating:||
Secret Life is the definitive collection by a young writer widely regarded as one of the best fantasists in the world. Jeff VanderMeer has handpicked these 23 stories (three written exclusively for this collection), which reflect a diversity of approaches to key questions about the human condition: mortality, love, obsession and creativity -- all shot through with dark humor and irony. Secret Life represents the author's continuing effort to stretch the narrative boundaries of fiction while still entertaining the reader. Yet all of these stories are related thematically: transformation and what it means to be human -- and the reader too will be transformed, into one of the faithful, a confirmed believer in the short fiction of Jeff VanderMeer.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: The Secrets of VanderMeer - essay by Jeffrey Ford
- Learning to Leave the Flesh - [Ambergris] - (1996) - short story
- The General Who Is Dead - [Ambergris] - (1996) - short story
- The Festival of the Freshwater Squid - short story
- The Bone-Carver's Tale - (1995) - short story
- Secret Life - novelette
- Ghost Dancing with Manco Tupac - (2000) - novelette
- The Sea, Mendeho, and Moonlight - [Veniss] - (1990) - short story
- Flight Is for Those Who Have Not Yet Crossed Over - (1998) - short story
- Greensleeves - (1992) - short story
- Detectives and Cadavers - [Veniss] - (1992) - short story
- Exhibit H: Torn Pages Discovered in the Vest Pocket of an Unidentified Tourist - (1998) - short story
- Black Duke Blues - (1996) - short story
- The Emperor's Reply - (1993) - short story
- The Compass of His Bones - short story
- Balzac's War - [Veniss] - (1997) - novella
- A Heart for Lucretia - [Veniss] - (1993) - short story
- London Burning - (1994) - short story
- Corpse Mouth and Spore Nose - short story
- The Machine - (2002) - short story
- Mahout - (1992) - short story
- The Mansions of the Moon (A Cautionary Tale) - (2001) - short story
- The City - short story
- Experiment #25 from the Book of Winter: The Croc and You - (1999) - short story
No excerpt currently exists for this novel. Be the first to submit one!
There are currently no reviews for this novel. Be the first to submit one! You must be logged in to submit a review in the BookTrackr section above.
No alternate cover images currently exist for this novel. Be the first to submit one!