open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in April 2021
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2021-03-31 3:22 PM (#23007)
Subject: Our reads in April 2021

Elite Veteran

Another month,another pile of books

Dusty's TBR for April

Olaf Stapledon - Last and First Men
George R Stewart - Earth Abides
Andre Norton - Key out of Time
Nathan Lowell - Full Share
Jo Walton -Tooth and Claw.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2021-04-01 1:31 PM (#23012 - in reply to #23007)
Subject: Re: Our reads in April 2021

Extreme Veteran

Didn't read much the last half of March and probably won't read much the first half of April. Hopefully the chaos will end mid-April and I can sort of get back to my normal reading schedule. At the moment, I am reading The Eight by Katherine Neville. Not sure yet how this qualifies as genre, but it's on the site. It is sort of a cross between Arturo Perez-Reverte and Dan Brown. My sister recommended it. I also have started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy - not a book to read during chaos, but it is good and I will finish it. I have Gods of Jade and Shadow, The Luminaries and another Vorkosigan book, Memory, to read as well. I had to return Rhythm of War to the library before I finished it. Perhaps I need to buy my own copy or not have so many library holds. Very much looking forward to warmer weather, less rain, real barbeque and a relative return to normalcy as Covid restrictions are slowly being lifted.
spoltz
Posted 2021-04-04 8:37 AM (#23015 - in reply to #23007)

Uber User

I'm reading Clifford D Simak's Mastodonia. It's a decent book so far, about corporate exploitation of time travel back to the dinosaurs for safaris. Next up will be Kindred by Octavia Butler for my book club in exile. Beyond that, I'm not sure yet. My aunt passed away last week, not due to Covid. She would have been 89 on April 2nd. I can't go back for the funeral because of restrictions in New Jersey, so I'll be FaceTiming at the wake, which will be weird. I'm also getting my first vaccine shot on Monday, which I'm grateful for.

Hey Dusty, I read Tooth and Claw a few years ago and loved it. Hope you find it as enjoyable as I did.
illegible_scribble
Posted 2021-04-22 6:35 AM (#23044 - in reply to #23015)

Uber User

spoltz - 2021-04-04 6:37 AM
My aunt passed away last week, not due to Covid. She would have been 89 on April 2nd. I can't go back for the funeral because of restrictions in New Jersey, so I'll be FaceTiming at the wake, which will be weird. I'm also getting my first vaccine shot on Monday, which I'm grateful for.

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. It's very hard when we can't engage in our usual forms of closure, such as going to the visitation or the service. I always try to do one or the other, because it seems to really help me psychologically accept that the loved one is gone.

And I'm so glad to hear you're getting vaccinated.

Edited by illegible_scribble 2021-04-22 6:42 AM
illegible_scribble
Posted 2021-04-22 6:41 AM (#23045 - in reply to #23007)

Uber User

I've just gotten Juliette Wade's Mazes of Power (2020) and Transgressions of Power (2021) from the library. They're set in the same universe as her 2018 novella The Persistence of Blood, which had some quite intriguing SF worldbuilding of what appears to possibly be a millenia-distant post-apocalyptic Earth.

spoltz
Posted 2021-04-24 12:43 PM (#23050 - in reply to #23045)

Uber User

Thanks for the kind words Scribble. My brother recently digitized all our old 16 mm home movies and sent them to me, so I have some footage of my aunt with the rest of my family for posterity.

Kindred by Octavia Butler was a very hard book to read, but excellent. I also read:
Destiny Doll - Clifford D Simak - I didn't like it. It's the first two star rating I've given to a Simak book. He's one of my favorite authors, but just didn't like this book.
Made Things - Adrian Tchaikovsky - My first book by him, and I really liked it.
Beowulf: Translation and Commentary - JRR Tolkien - His prose translation was very difficult reading. I skimmed through the commentary which was twice as long as the translation. Though I really enjoyed the folk-tale Tolkien wrote as if it preceded the epic story as well as his own poetic take on the story.
Artificial Condition - Martha Wells - Really enjoyed this second Murderbot story. Looking forward to the others I got free from Tor.com several months ago.
Stormsong - CL Polk - Really enjoyed this second book as well, but was a little disappointed since I absolutely loved Witchmark.

I plan to read one, maybe two more Murderbot books and the third Polk entry in the Kingston cycle by the end of the month.
daxxh
Posted 2021-04-27 9:28 AM (#23053 - in reply to #23050)

Extreme Veteran

Read Machinehood - good, Gods of Jade and Shadow -good, The Warship - excellent, Ascendant - excellent, The Midnight Library -ok. I am almost done with Piranesi - interesting book. I have Remote Control, Road Out of Winter and A call to Arms next on the TBR pile. Looking forward to the The Human and Triumphant, sequels to The Warship and Ascendant.
daxxh
Posted 2021-04-27 9:28 AM (#23054 - in reply to #23050)

Extreme Veteran

Edited by daxxh 2021-04-27 9:32 AM
spoltz
Posted 2021-04-30 11:47 AM (#23060 - in reply to #23007)

Uber User

Finished out April with Rogue Protocol - another Murderbot novella by Martha Wells which I really liked, and Soulstar - finishing out the Kingston Cycle by CL Polk, which I loved.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)