open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "So much technology, so little talent." - Vernor Vinge (Rainbow's End)
- (Added by: Emil)

What are we reading in February 2020?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2020-02-01 3:04 AM (#21779)
Subject: What are we reading in February 2020?

Elite Veteran

This is my basic SF/F TBR for February

P K Dick - Ubik
Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon
Algis Budrys - Rogue Moon
Ransom Riggs - Map of Days
Simon Goodwin - Hubble's Universe
V E Schwab - A Gathering of Shadows
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2020-02-01 3:13 PM (#21781 - in reply to #21779)
Subject: Re: What are we reading in February 2020?

Extreme Veteran

I am currently reading The Supernova Era by Cixin Liu. I haven't read much yet, but it could be interesting.

I have a stack of Novellas for the challenge to read:
Mapping the Interior
Made Things
The Flowers of Vashnoi
Who Goes There?
Sisters of the Vast Black

I should be getting Agency from the library shortly. I also want to read the first Sector General novel.
Weesam
Posted 2020-02-03 12:15 AM (#21783 - in reply to #21781)

Uber User

Currently focusing on Catfishing on CatNet.

What I do after that is anyone's guess.
dustydigger
Posted 2020-02-05 6:19 AM (#21788 - in reply to #21779)

Elite Veteran

Rogue Moon was a rather odd mix of hard boiled fiction,mystery and of course a massive Big Dumb Object on the moon. Interesting if dated.
Returned to Ransom Riggs Map of Days,a rather disappointing outing for Miss Peregrine's Peculiar children,set in the 50s and 60s rather than Victorian times and in the USA instead of England.Done on art paper,extremely heavy,my arthritic fingers actuallly go into cramp and have to be untwisted from the book! lol.Still 120 pages to go,maybe 3 or 4 days.
I put everything else aside when I immersed myself in Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon. Hornblower with dragons,what could be better?I forged straight on into book 2,Throne of Jade.
daxxh
Posted 2020-02-06 10:17 PM (#21789 - in reply to #21788)

Extreme Veteran

Hornblower with dragons? I think His Majesty's Dragon is going on my TBR pile!
Administrator
Posted 2020-02-06 10:35 PM (#21790 - in reply to #21789)

Admin

daxxh - 2020-02-06 10:17 PM Hornblower with dragons? I think His Majesty's Dragon is going on my TBR pile!

I read the Temeraire series a few years back and it really is quite fun. I listened to the audio version and the narrator is good if you like audio books.

pauljames
Posted 2020-02-08 7:02 AM (#21791 - in reply to #21790)

Veteran

I am reading some horror at the moment, currently on Innocence by Dean Koontz. The i will be reading Pet Semetary by Stephen King. I read this before in the mid 90s and am looking forward to seeing how my memories of it change after 25 odd years.
spoltz
Posted 2020-02-10 10:11 AM (#21794 - in reply to #21791)

Uber User

I started Spin Control by Chris Moriarty in January, but finished it in February. It was cyberpunkish and had a lot of plotlines, so I got pretty lost in it. However, I felt the writing and world-building was terrific, even though I didn't always know what was going on.

After that, I read So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams. I really enjoyed it.

Now I'm finally reading the third book in NK Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy, The Stone Sky. Just started that last night.
daxxh
Posted 2020-02-15 10:58 PM (#21806 - in reply to #21794)

Extreme Veteran

I read Brothers in Arms (good) and three novellas - Mapping the Interior (meh), The Flowers of Vashnoi (good) and Sisters of the Vast Black (good). I am just finishing The Heads of Cerberus which was written in 1919 and is actually good. I have Hornblower with Dragons, His Majesty's Dragon next. Looking forward to that one!
spoltz
Posted 2020-02-18 5:57 AM (#21808 - in reply to #21779)

Uber User

I finished The Stone Sky. I was a little disappointed with it. It was kind of a travelogue without much suspense. When it came, it was very suspenseful, but it felt like Jemisin couldn't hold the suspense and the anticipation of the dramatic ending throughout the book. Still, I think it's a marvelous series, but very depressing.

I read Young Zaphod Plays It Safe by Douglas Adams. It made more sense once I found out about how it was edited. Then I read Mostly Harmless, which I liked a lot. It was very dark and you could tell that Adams was going through a rough patch while writing the book. The humor was not blatant like the other books. It was found in the absurdity of the story. I liked how the ending brought everything together, but I agree with other fans that it was quite abrupt.
thejessleigh
Posted 2020-02-18 11:39 AM (#21810 - in reply to #21779)

I had a pretty slow reading month in January, hoping to fix that this month. I'm planning on reading Connie Willis's Crosstalk, Elvia Wilk's Oval, and Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.
Administrator
Posted 2020-02-18 12:22 PM (#21811 - in reply to #21810)

Admin

I'm finally getting around to reading Lois McMaster Bujold for the WoGF, Lois McMaster Bujold, and The Number of the Counting Shall be Three reading challenges. I'm listening to the audio of The Curse of Chalion and I'm loving it! Great book, great narration and it's such an improvement on the last fantasy series I read.

The Curse of Chalion

spoltz
Posted 2020-02-25 10:34 PM (#21835 - in reply to #21811)

Uber User

I loved Chalion. I didn't love Paladin of Souls as much. IMHO, I think Paladin won its awards because the voters missed the boat with Chalion.

I just read The Gracekeepers by Kristy Logan for the LGBTQ reading challenge. I really enjoyed it. It's kinda slow and prosy, but for some reason, I just ate it up.
Administrator
Posted 2020-02-25 11:05 PM (#21836 - in reply to #21835)

Admin

spoltz - 2020-02-25 10:34 PM I loved Chalion. I didn't love Paladin of Souls as much. IMHO, I think Paladin won its awards because the voters missed the boat with Chalion. I just read The Gracekeepers by Kristy Logan for the LGBTQ reading challenge. I really enjoyed it. It's kinda slow and prosy, but for some reason, I just ate it up.

I'm still early into Paladin of Souls but I think you're right about it not being quite as good --  at least this far. Still enjoying it very much.

dustydigger
Posted 2020-02-27 5:04 AM (#21849 - in reply to #21779)

Elite Veteran

Trouble with Tycho was a cute little early novella by Clifford D Simak,about a malign presence on the moon. Its my month for nasty aliens,as Rogue Moon had a similar theme,and I am now reading Gregory Benford's Eater,another malevolent entity,even more dangerous to mankind. I do so love a terrifying calamity,or Big Dumb objects and the like.
Much less appealing to me,as I expected,was PKDs Ubik.Still waiting for a PKD book that I would eagerly reread,which is a criterion for me as to how good I think a book is.
I am struggling with C J Cherryh's very fraught,down and depressing Voyager in Night,and I am finding Colin Greenland's Take Back Plenty very irritating,and I dislike the protagonists enormously.More about them when I complete them.To cheer myself up I have gone back to Barsoom,and am off on an adventure with John Carter,Swords of Mars.We are going to viit one of Mars moons!
But for the most part reading is on the back burner for now.Lots of family things,and a new great grandchild .due in two weeks
dustydigger
Posted 2020-02-29 4:10 AM (#21868 - in reply to #21779)

Elite Veteran

My stats for February
Books read - 8

state of my challenges:
Pick & Mix - 14/40
Killer Bs - 2/3
Fairytales Retold - 2/3
Books read this year - 14/100
The greatgrandson arrived today,2 weeks early.A Leap year baby,only one birthday every four years.
Think I will have to revise my March reading even more ! And maybe try to finish off some books I put aside last year for various reasons,like Cherie Priest's Boneshakerand Corey's Abaddon's Gate..
spoltz
Posted 2020-02-29 5:03 AM (#21869 - in reply to #21779)

Uber User

Congratulations Dusty!
daxxh
Posted 2020-02-29 11:24 AM (#21870 - in reply to #21869)

Extreme Veteran

I am half way through His Majesty's Dragon. I am liking it - love Temeraire. Had to return The Supernova Era to the library before I could finish it, so that will be on next month's readling list.

Congratulations Dusty!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)